If I can make it there ...

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The great textile shortage of '05?

When JT checked out the apartment, he naturally looked at the layout and the location.
What he didn't ask was whether our landlords had any sort of aversion to linens.

We've found napkin rings but no napkins -- not cloth or paper.
There are no washcloths, which is very European, but I don't think you could say the same for no dishcloths.
There are no blankets. I don't mean extra blankets. Just blankets. Or blanket singular. There's an enormous heavy duvet on the bed, so the choices are to sleep under 42 pounds of feathers or go without.

I understand that in a 700-square-foot apartment, you live leaner than Midwesterners are used to. But if you have several sets of sheets and an array of decorative pillows, not to mention a huge collection of albums, perhaps you could squeeze in room for a dish towel?

I broke down and spent 15 bucks on some washcloths and a hand towel, and we bought a dish sponge and some handiwipes. Who knew we shoulda packed that stuff?

Hopefully they have blankets in their storage room, but if not, we'll need to ask our guests to bring their own.

This is the sort of stuff that's entertaining about not just becoming temporary citizens of the city, but taking up short term residence in someone else's life. HT is probably mumbling similar things about how we could be so crazy as to live the way we do.

2 Comments:

  • We remember being floored that the kitchen in our NY sublet, while stocked with a fabulous Calphalon set and assorted gadgetry, had neither wooden spoon nor pasta strainer.

    Now that you mention it, I recall some ridiculousness with FreshDirect about not taking Lou's credit card because the billing address wasn't the same as the home address or something. Also, there was nothing to do with all those cardboard boxes but throw them out, producing a nervous tick that took weeks to subside. And for the large part, I like to look at my food before I buy it. But it was still worth doing, as one of those can't-do-it-in-Ann-Arbor things.

    Lovin' the blog!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/06/2005 6:07 PM  

  • Hmm...I wonder what an archeologist would say about my place. Shortage of chairs but plenty of books and not enough bookshelves.... and more shoes than one probably needs.

    Maybe it is a secret New York handshake? Embrace duvet or forever suffer in silence.

    Just let me know if I need to pack in my favorite blankie...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2005 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home