If I can make it there ...

Sunday, November 27, 2005

I'd rather be red than dead

This is a non-NYC related tangent ... I'm ADD, what did you expect?

I've been a faux redhead since my freshman year of college, when the potentially explosive combination of Boones Farm and roommates with hairdye on hand left me with a dayglo shade that looked mahogany inside and fuschia in daylight.

After experimenting with everything from burgundy to plum to copper penny, I figured that grown ups probably don't change their hair color like some people change their socks. I settled on my favorite color: Ultress auburn

Some women are surprised when I tell them I color my hair myself, but without fail, getting my hair professionally colored has been a high-priced disaster, while I almost always love the outcome of my home version, even if I stink up the house by mixing the glop and donning plastic gloves.

In recent months, it's become increasingly difficult to find my shade in stores. Target stopped carrying the brand entirely, and that made me nervous. I emailed Clairol to ask whether they were discontinuing Ultress.

No, they said, but I could try Nice N Easy if I couldn't find Ultress.

Scarred by a bad Nice N Easy experience during Bush the Elder's term, instead I stood hypnotized in the hair dye aisle and tried to judge by the boxes whether one might be close enough to my beloved auburn.
Apparently I'm as good at judging hair color as I am at picking lipstick. I failed.

Then the Internet came through. I found Ultress auburn online and ordered four boxes.

Shortly thereafter, Clairol fessed up -- yup, Ultress is going away. Damn!!

This weekend I colored my hair in preparation for the big trip, and it reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine decides whether her guy is spongeworthy. With just four boxes of my favorite color on hand, it's a big deal to run down the supply.
And doggone if my hair didn't just hit to point of being too long for one box to do the job. Reluctantly, I busted into a second one to finish up.

I may just need to order a case of the stuff while I figure out my long term plan. Sure, I could just go back to my natural color ... but c'mon, don't I seem more like a redhead than a brunette?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home