If I can make it there ...

Friday, May 19, 2006

You better shop around

John and I just celebrated our six-year wedding anniversary, and we were together a few years before that -- so it's been a long time since I grocery shopped and cooked for one.
Add to that the consideration of what I can actually carry home from the store to my aparment, along with trying hard not to end up with an entire duplicate set of everything from soy sauce to peanut butter, and you might understand how I could spend an hour wandering Whole Foods tonight to buy one bag of groceries.

Being in NYC stag has also changed some of my shopping habits because my breakfast routine is all thrown off. John and I had this great ritual of getting up to exercise, then while I was in the shower John would make coffee and the most fantastic omelette or yogurt with bananas and walnuts. Yes, I admit it. I'm terribly spoiled.
Now I've got to actually think about breakfast, and buying something to eat for it, since my omelettes aren't as good as John's and even if they were, it'd add another 20 minutes or more to my morning routine. That's sleep I don't want to give up, so PB&J it is.
Earlier this week, I made the discovery that the walk from my building to the subway stop is just long enough to eat a PB&J, which was helpful since I was paralyzed in front of my closet figuring out what to wear.

Dress for success

No, it's not the most important consideration in career success -- but how you dress does matter. As the new kid worried about making the right first impression, I've tried hard to make sure I'm wearing the right thing.
Part of the challenge is that I work in a small group where there aren't many women. The guys wear a shirt and tie with nice dress slacks and loafers every day. I think most of the other executive-level men dress the same, up to the CEO, and there aren't enough women to feel like I can really generalize. For example, one woman my age dresses really nicely, but I can't tell if I should follow her lead or if she's just fond of suits.
What's the female equivalent of shirt, tie and slacks? Lenny suggests sweater sets and even says they're sexy. I always thought of them as sort of prim suburban soccer mom, but sexy? Who knew?
Finally I cracked and asked the well-dressed woman what she thinks the dress code is for women. She laughed and said it really varies -- from suits or blazers to blouse and skirt or blouse and pants.
Thus far, it feels like most of my News Service work wardrobe is too casual for work. Yesterday a sudden downpour soaked my favorite utility work shoes and this morning they were still sopping wet so I was forced to wear my brown velvet spider flats. (bad packing = lots of casual shoes, not enough work shoes) I felt so self conscious walking in because it's not so much of a funky place, but fortunately my pants were long enough and I spent enough of my day sitting down that I'm not sure anyone really noticed.
Still, I need to do a little shopping. Yes, need. The sacrifices I make for my career.

3 Comments:

  • Colleen, I can really relate to the clothes talk! I still can't find a good pair of dressy comfy black shoes to wear at work every day and it throws the whole day off! But, it's great to have an excuse to go shopping...

    Also, my idea of a good breakfast is a bowl of cereal and a glass of OJ, so I can't really sympathize!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/20/2006 1:46 AM  

  • I sure admire you first-thing-in-the-morning excisers. I've always aspired to be one myself, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. First thing in the morning, I want food and coffee, within 10 minutes of waking.

    Along those lines, Lou is the designated coffee-maker in our house, although he doesn't drink the stuff himself. His is the best, better than I can even make myself now since I've gotten out of practice. Ah, the trained ones; they do so ingratiate themselves in our hearts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/20/2006 10:07 PM  

  • Correction: I meant "exercisers" up there. If you're excising first thing in the morning, that's your business.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/20/2006 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home