If I can make it there ...

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother@#%$er

Mother's Day weekend was a hassle years ago -- I'd have to do something with my mom, and with my stepmom, and my dad's birthday often fell on that weekend, too. Especially once my dad and stepmother got divorced (when I was in college), that meant three stops with three gifts and three people all vying for my time.
When that changed, it changed fast. My mother and my stepmother, who my dad married when I was 5, died within about two years of each other.
Now I find the whole Mother's Day ritual a hassle in a different way. I have to steel myself for chipper questions about whether I've called my mom yet today, peppered with questions about whether I'm a mother. Finding a polite way to reject both repeatedly is a little exhausting.

John's boarding his flight home right now. I'm on my own in the city. Tomorrow's my first day at work. It's a drag that when I leave for work, John won't be here to send me off.
Thankfully, we won't be separated for long. Robin's having an open house today, and with luck, the house will sell quickly.

The other part of the equation is finding an apartment here.
Today we looked at 2 Lincoln Square, which was perfect. Perfect. The apartment was good, with lots of closets, a great kitchen, immaculate bathroom. The location is unbelievable. Right across from Lincoln Center, with such energy and vibrance and all kinds of amazing shops, and just a block or two from Central Park.
We want that apartment! Brett's trying to make it happen but we don't know yet if it's ours.
Then right after John got in a cab, I looked at a place at 360 W. 55th. This isn't the apartment I looked at, but it's the same building. It was good -- nice layout, good closets, nice kitchen and bathroom, hardwood floors, full time doorman -- but not as good at 2 Lincoln Square. It'll be a good backup, if 2 Lincoln Square falls through.
But we're crossing our fingers that it's 2 Lincoln Square. It feels like home.

1 Comments:

  • True. I imagine unattached folks feel the same way on Valentine's Day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2006 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home