If I can make it there ...

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Anchors away!

Walking home from work tonight, 9th Avenue was awash in seamen. Seamen, people. Sickos.
It's Fleet Week, which means everywhere you look, there are sailors in white uniforms trying to chat women up with lines that probably didn't work when On the Town was fresh comedy. Will I take your picture? Are you serious? Let me guess, I look just like someone you know.

If I were a Sex and the City character, I'd be out drinking cosmos and twirling my hair at sailors.
Instead most of my social life has involved MBAs -- who, while interesting in their own way, don't have sexy uniforms and jaunty little hats. (Their shoes are often well shined, though, so they've got that.)

Last Saturday, Chris treated me to dinner at Citrus and we hung out at a cool bar near there until late into the evening. He peer pressured me into taking my first cab this month, rather than waiting for a subway at 1 in the morning. It was good call. Girls who've been drinking probably shouldn't stand on a subway platform for half an hour alone.
Chris graduated ahead of me by a few years in the evening MBA program and he's been in New York since then, so he said he was acting as the welcome wagon. Guess that means I've got to pay it forward to the next Michigan MBA who comes to the city.
Sunday it was dinner with Rachel, a friend we met when she dated an old roommate of John's. They broke up but we didn't. She recently finished her executive MBA at NYU and she's got a kickin' job at Warner Music. Who gets to go to the Grammys for work?
Tomorrow I'm meeting up with Albert, a UCLA MBA I met at an MBA media and entertainment conference a few years ago. He got a job here just a few weeks before I got mine at AP. We're going to share some war stories about apartment hunting and settling in to a new job, and probably throw around phrases like win-win and core competency.

Maybe once John gets to town, we'll socialize with people who don't wear suits or know about Porters Five Forces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home