If I can make it there ...

Monday, November 26, 2007

You light up my life

Even though we're renters, John and I decided to splurge on a real chandelier recently. We'd spent more than a year being annoyed that there was no light over the dining table, and after seeing the six-figure works of art in New Orleans antique shops last year, we were inspired by the beauty that can come with an every day thing like lighting.

This isn't as decadent as the ones we saw down south, which looked more like they should be hanging in the grand entrance of the Titanic, but it makes us happy.

There's a whole district down at the south end of Manhattan where there's block after block of lighting stores, adjacent to the same sort of thing for furniture, and then the same thing for kitchen supplies. For people who live in teeny-weeny apartments, New Yorkers obviously spend enough money on furnishings to keep these places in business.

2 Comments:

  • That is so cool. "sigh" I guess this is the difference between people who can make a home vs. me. I can live in a house for ten years and make it look like I have just moved in (hmmm, think minimalist school of decorating) and you guys have the knack of putting together just the right touch. It is a lovely chandelier.

    I am surprised that people in tiny NY apartments can keep all those light and furniture stores in business. Go figure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/28/2007 2:04 PM  

  • Yours is much better than the one hanging over my table! I need to get myself to a lighting store--or a whole block of them.

    By Blogger Margaret Yang, at 11/29/2007 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home