If I can make it there ...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Who knew we were such trendsetters?

Almost 10 years ago, I invited some girls over to my apartment for my first attempt at this crazy idea I'd heard of -- everyone cleans out their closet and brings over their castoffs, and everyone looks over the other girls' goods to find potential treasure in that trash.

It turned into a tradition, with girlfriends getting together a couple times a year for clothing swapping and potluck dinner.

Frequently I'd get together with a friend and she'd proudly show off that she was wearing a sweater or jeans or something she'd picked up at the last party. Other times I'd get an email saying "I need another party. The bag in my closet is almost full and I've got a lot to get rid of."

It's a thing of beauty when you can pick up a few new treats absolutely free, while simultaneously clearing out all the underbrush. I love the feeling of a closet where everything that's in there might actually be something I'd wear. Erica uses this rule: is this something I'd want to have my picture taken in? I love that. Plus, when your new items are free, it's liberating to try something you might not pay for -- and if it doesn't work out, you take it back to the next party for someone else to try.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the story in the NY Times about clothing swap parties actually becoming a business!
Jo, Kat, Margaret, Katie, Saejin, Mary Jean, Joy, Laura -- did you realize we were part of a national craze?

I haven't yet figured out how to bring clothing parties to NYC. My apartment is too small, you can't exactly bring over 8 bags on the subway, and I think potlucks are completely out of the question here. Hmmmm...

4 Comments:

  • Ohhh, I feel special. I am actually at the forefront of a craze. I must say I do love my comfy slinky black dress that I got from clothing swap. It used to be Laura's. A trip in the hot dryer and a little nip and tuck around the waste and it is the perfect travelling dress that can be dressed up or down.

    So nice to have you back in the cyberland. I may dimly remember a time when I didn't have cable model access to the net but, I prefer not to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2006 7:20 AM  

  • "I'd never buy a new leather jacket, because I don't want to support the leather industry," he said. "But I like recycling. Some days I find that everything I'm wearing, I got here."

    My sentiments exactly. People ask where I got that cute little green leather jacket and I grin and say "a clothes swap." Thanks, Saejin!

    By Blogger Kat, at 7/13/2006 11:07 AM  

  • Maybe not eight bags, but surely two or three, and do you really need more? Purple Heart just won't make out as well, that's all. Then replace "potluck" with "Chinese takeout" or "pizza", and you're set.

    OK, next problem?

    It's nice to be ahead of the rest of the world, I must say.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2006 7:05 PM  

  • My Mom loves the breadmaker that I got from Saejin at the clothes swap! Okay, so I got it for myself, but ended up giving it to her, but isn't that just like bringing it to the next party?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/15/2006 12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home