If I can make it there ...

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Duck duck goose

This week, Chicago becomes the first city in the U.S. to ban foie gras because it tortures ducks and geese by force feeding them to fatten up their livers.
BBC story on the ban

Apparently chefs all over the city are protesting by "giving away" foie gras along with regular menu items, since the ban prohibits selling foie gras.

When there are so many tasty things in the world to eat, why do we need to have a fight over something that harms another living being in an unnecessary way? Yes, I'm a vegetarian so I have a different view than the majority but even if you want to be a carnivore, you can do that in a way that's humane. Raise animals in a compassionate, kind way and kill them quickly and painlessly.

We have such abundant food choices that, for example, there's no excuse in the world for taking a baby cow and putting him in a crate to prevent him from moving because veal is more tender that way. A cow is a sentient being, not an inanimate object. If you wouldn't do that to the family dog, how is it acceptable for a cow?

All of this reminded me of a story I read in the NY Times earlier this summer about ethical eating that I meant to share in the blog. So thanks to a prod from Chicago, here it is.

Discuss amongst yourselves. I'll be here eating my veggie burger, and counting the seconds until Karl makes some snarky comment about how much he loves foie gras.

4 Comments:

  • I think you're right, Colleen. I'm a carnivore, but I can't bring myself to eat veal. It's not so hard anymore to find meat that's been raised and killed somewhat humanely and without loads of antibiotics. I won't say I'm virtuous all the time, but hopefully more often than not.

    And foie gras -- wait, do they sell those next to the Cheetohs?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2006 9:34 AM  

  • Hi Colleen! I think you know that my family are all carnivores, since my Mom and Dad raise beef. But, I TOTALLY agree with your humane comment. I've been know to get on Dan Kim's case when he talks about veal and how good it is....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2006 9:23 AM  

  • Ditto here. Although there is something to be said for the tender, juicy Kobe beef(Kobe cattle is massaged and fed beer every day to encourage tender beef) rather than the lean, mean, well-exercised Austrailian beef. Yes, I can see Colleen's eye crossing here at these reference on the red meat.

    The only thing I have issue with the Chicago ban though is privacy issue. Should the government be telling us why is ethical to eat?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/05/2006 12:55 PM  

  • It's not as fun being snarky if you INVITE me to!

    I gave up veal years ago on moral grounds, subbing turkey if I absolutely must. But I have not taken to pushing for legislation to ban veal. That's the real issue. (see also Saejin) Say... trans-fatty acids are bad, let's ban those too! (oh wait, shit, NY's doing that right now.) And sugared gum and energy drinks and cheetohs...

    What Chicago is about to learn is that if you outlaw foie gras, only outlaws will have foie gras. What about Roumanian orphans? What about an entire generation of Black American males behind bars? What about Angelina Jolie "showing" again? What about GitMo detainees being force-fed with a catheter as if they were stupid ducks?

    Let's just get off each other's backs already about petty shit like this. If I want free and easy access to fattened liver, preferably lightly sauteed in butter with a tiny pinch of salt and served piping hot and still oozing clear hot grease, melt-in-your-mouth tender and rich, just look the other way already, ms. noseypants.

    PS- thanks again for that can of pate from your real estate agent, it was Mmmm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/27/2006 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home