If I can make it there ...

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Start spreading the news ...

I swear I won't quote Frank Sinatra every time I post. But it does seem appropriate to do it for this inaugural item. Then I'll quit. I can quit any time I want.
A little background to kick us off ...
When we first got married, moving to New York was my dream. John had lived in Chicago and San Francisco, and had sort of gotten his fill of big city living. He is nothing if not open minded, though, so if I really wanted to move to NYC, he'd do it for me.
Slowly, though, he fell in love with the city, too. He even went a few times without me. That's when I knew he was hooked.
New York is a good place for both of us to be careerwise -- I want to work in the media, and you can't buy a slice of Famous Ray's pizza without bumping into someone who works at Time Warner or NBC or wherever; John is an artist, and it's hard to imagine many places better for selling art than NYC.
But it's more than that. It's not a purely logical decision to relocate to better our careers. It's how the place feels, and how we feel when we're there.

We've long anticipated moving to New York in 2005, as soon as I finished my MBA. But after sending off 32 gazillion resumes, networking like crazy and going on a few promising interviews, I haven't yet gotten an offer.

John is the kind of free spirit who would just plant a "for sale" sign in the front yard and go, letting everything sort itself out once we got there. He's done that before and to describe his results as lucky doesn't begin to describe the good fortune that's come. The universe loves my husband.

I, however, am more conservative where it comes to giving up my income, and taking on Manhattan rent with no job lined up. I tried to get up for it, but it gave me serious agita.

Instead, I hatched a compromise plan: we'll go for a month. My gracious boss granted me unpaid leave, so I keep my job security and my health insurance, but we get the benefit of going to the city to take people to coffee and go to cocktail parties and just let divine providence happen.

2 Comments:

  • Remember, the Bronx is up and the Battery’s down.

    Good luck in Manhattan! I am certain you will both make it there. The question is, how will Ann Arbor let you go? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2005 6:37 PM  

  • Again, i also do windows, floors, am a great shopping assistant...and have connections in NYC.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2005 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home